Kiyomizudera Temple
World Cultural Heritage

dsc_0052.jpg dsc_0525.jpg dsc_0055.jpg dsc_0531.jpg dsc_0533.jpg dsc_0535.jpg dsc_0540.jpg dsc_0576.jpg dsc_0557.jpg dsc_0550.jpg dsc_0566.jpg dsc_0569.jpg dsc_0544.jpg dsc_0556.jpg dsc_0573.jpg dsc_0578.jpg
dsc_0061.jpg dsc_0525.jpg dsc_0044.jpg dsc_0047.jpg dsc_5600.jpg dsc_5599.jpg dsc_0054.jpg dsc_0056.jpg dsc_0055.jpg dsc_0048.jpg dsc_0059.jpg dsc_0042.jpg
Kiyomizu-dera Temple originated in 778 when the monk Enchin enshrined an image of Kannon on the mountain overlooking the Otowa-no taki Falls; later, in 798, the distinguished general Sakanoue no Tamuramaro built a Buddha hall there, following which Kiyomizu-dera Temple came under the official patronage of Emperor Kanmu. Repeatedly destroyed by fire over the centuries, it was rebuilt on each occasion. Today, the principal temple buildings are the Saimon (West Gate), the three-storied pagoda, the Kyodo (Sutra Hall), the Tamurado (Founder's Hall), the Todorokimon (Middle Gate), the Asakurado Hall, the Hondo (Main Hall), and the Amidado (Amida Buddha Hall), all aligned on an east-west axis. Around them are other temple buildings, including the Niomon (Gate of Deva Kings), the Umatodome (Hitching Stables), the Shoro (Belfry), the Shakado (Shakyamuni Hall), the Okunoin (Innermost Temple), the Koyasunoto Pagoda, the Chinjudo, and the Jishu Shrine, wherein is enshrined the local Shinto tutelary deity. The Hondo, built in 1633, is the central building of the temple compound and is an example of kake-zukuri or "overhang" architecture. It is famous for its so-called "Kiyomizu-dera stage," an imposing veranda supported by a forest of tall wooden columns with wooden braces running through them crosswise and lengthwise. The building, which consists principally of the stone-floored sanctuary (naijin), which houses the temple's primary Buddhist statue, and the plank-floored worship hall (gejin), is characterized below by its false roofs (mokoshi) underneath the main roof, by its front hisashi (a narrow, roofed area), and by its flanking wings and its stage; and above by a framework supporting a Yosemune-style hip-ridged roof of hinoki, or cypress bark. This architetural form is handed down from the Heian period (794-1184). In addition to its buildings, the eastern part of the temple compound also contains the Joju-in Garden, which incorporates the early Edo-period technique of "borrowed scenery" (shakkei). The natural scenery surrounding Kiyomizu-dera Temple is also quite beautiful.
Kyoto City

Closed Open all the year
Admission Time 
Day Time

6:00-18:00(1 Jan.-8 Apr.)
6:00-18:00(9 Apr.-30 Jun.)
Week Days

6:00-18:30(9 Apr.-30 Jun.)
Sat.& Sun./National Holidays

6:00-18:30(1 July.-31 Aug.)
6:00-18:00(1 Sep.-31 Dec.)

Admission Time 
Night Time
Special Night viewing
Change days every Year
This is 2019
(9 Mar.-18 Mar.)
(30 Mar.-8 Apr.)
(14 Aug.16 Aug.)
(17 Nov.-2 Dec.)
Fee  300Yen
(From High School Student)
(Elementaly Students-Junior High School Students)
Addresss 1-294 Kiyomizu Higashiyama-ku  Kyoto City Kyoto 606-8361 Japan
Tel 075-551-1234
Fax 075-551-1287

Bus Stop Name Gojozaka 10min.
From Kyoto Station
(Kyoto City Bus)
No.86 106 110 206
Express 100

From Shijo Kawaramachi
(Kyoto City Bus)
No.80 86 106 207 
Shijo Kawaramachi→

Railway Station Name Keihan Kiyomizu Gojo 25 min.

Kiyomizurera Temple Official Page